Sunday, March 27, 2011

Insha'allah

Oh it's been awhile my nonexistent blog followers. I'm not sure why I even feel compelled to post right now. Boredom, perhaps?

So since I last posted Mubarak has stepped down as the president of Egypt. A blessing for sure. And now Egyptians are left to figure out their democracy. It's painful and unnerving to have so much uncertainty but hopefully one day it will shine as a beacon of democracy in the region. Insha'allah.

Unfortunately, the news out of the Middle East hasn't been easy to swallow lately. Libya, Egypt, Bahrain, Syria, Yemen are just a few of the countries that have seen young people and those just fed up with their regimes take for the streets. Libya is in all out war right now and the U.S. did get involved. I agree that it was necessary but understand why it makes everyone (American and Middle Eastern) a little uneasy.

The most troubling of all the stories that have come out of the region lately have been the ones about the mistreatment, rape, harassment, and torture of women at the hands of the military in many of these countries. It is both disgusting and shameful. If for nothing else, I hope these demonstrations help us get the word out that women are not treated equally in these countries, regardless of the laws or of the religion. Trust me, this is NOT a Muslim problem and anyone who tries to convince you that it is should not be trusted. 

In other horrifying news, Michelle Bachmann is running for President. Shoot. Me. Now.

I sincerely hope the next campaign season is not focused on the situation in the Middle East, because I know that if it is, it will be dominated by the ignorance on the right. We shouldn't stand for such nonsense, but I know we will, and there will be Americans who agree with their fear mongering bullshit.

Anyway, I'm not sure when I'll get back on these thing or if it's really worth keeping up. I should be looking for a part-time job so I can go to graduate school sometime this millennium....Insha'allah. 

For those of you who don't know. Insha'allah means God willing in Arabic.






No comments:

Post a Comment