Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Close the light!

I guess I'm blogging now. I've thought about doing this for years and I have finally taken the plunge. I would have done this earlier, except I'm constantly afraid someone, somewhere will judge me for it. I have many fears but chief among them are a) I will be a huge disappointment to my family, and b) I will be judged.  I think my fear of being judged by people I respect is mostly due to my Egyptian roots. In a typical Egyptian-American household you probably hear the word, "haram" or "shame" on a regular basis. 

Just today my father, a man who I strongly think could have his own entertaining "Shit-My-Day-Says" like Twitter account, voiced his grave concern over the behavior of the Egyptian protests. The Egyptian middle class, and largely the young people who can't find jobs and therefore can't have a stable personal life either, are protesting like crazy today. While I see them as being inspired by the current events in Tunisia, my dad sees it as"copy-cat" act with no meaning or purpose.

"These people are stupid. And they're all kids. Where are their parents? Ehhhh I don't know."

God, I mean can't you see the hope in the revolution at all? My Parents: Christians who claim persecution, but are largely ok with the status quo? It just confuses me.


So why did I name this "close the light." Because it's just a very Egyptian thing to say. Sort of like "Where are their parents?!" Plus this is my blog, I can do and say what I want!


So as impending doom may be falling onto my motherland, I patiently await our American President, currently shaking hands, and making his way to the front of the House Chamber to deliver his 2011 State of the Union Address. I'm excited because in addition to being a burdened Egyptian. I am also a giant nerd.


Let's see if Boehner cries!

No comments:

Post a Comment